Corona/COVID-19 has us under control. To avoid infection, our PhD students also stay at home. But that is no reason not to work on your dissertation! We have prepared for you the 10 reasons why your home is the ideal place to write, even though libraries, offices and cafés are closed.
The Ten: 10 reasons – Why your home is the ideal place to write
1. Digital Togetherness: We live in times of digitalization, so you can write your dissertation safely from home and network with colleagues by phone, via Skype, hangouts, Facetime or other conference systems. The virtual world makes it possible for you not to have to write alone.
2. Digital Literature: Even when libraries are closed, literature is available online. Digital literature is also much more practical, it is easier to transfer to Citavi or other literature management systems.
3. Change Of Perspective: Ideally, you will have a well-equipped workplace, but you can also work longer at a dining table with a comfortable chair. Other places and new seating arrangements also lead to new ideas.
4. No Whiteboard? No Problem! You have numerous windows and mirrors in your apartment. With the right pens or colourful Post-its, your work can be structured well. Online trading still works smoothly – what’s missing can be there the very next day.
5. The sofa in the Living room – a risky choice, because you might be tempted to hire Netflix/Prime. Just a new episode of your favourite show… Binge Watching Alarm! Clear advantage: A power nap in between should work wonders and the TV could also be used as a second screen. Playing presentations or literature screening in large format – a useful application variant.
6. Kitchen: No height-adjustable table? Simply use the kitchen worktop – standing workstation ready. And quite honestly, the way to the coffee machine is sooo short, it couldn’t be more ideal.
7. Garden/Balcony: The sun is shining! Here you can fill up on vitamin D, enjoy the fresh air and have a chat with your neighbours at a safe distance. There have already been researchers who have made a great breakthrough on the basis of animal behaviour or the spectacle of nature.
8. Forest: Staring at empty leaves gets a different meaning. During a walk you can sort your thoughts. Alternatively, you can also run, thus creating harmony between body and mind.
9. Room Floor: All books, scripts, data sheets can be spread out around you. Ideal! Nobody will visit you unexpectedly in your “office”. Nobody keeps you from being the master of your chaos.
10. You save! Yes, right. You save time and you save money. Just think of the time you need to drive to work, the rush hour on the motorway, the crowded public transport and the chatter in the kitchen with your colleagues. Lunch in the cafeteria or at the pizzeria around the corner is cancelled. Now you have the opportunity to cook healthy food for yourself.