Digital twins are virtual images of products, services or processes and play a crucial role for the factory of the future in several respects. Today, a digital twin is much more than a simple model – we are talking about evolving digital profiles based on historical and current behavior of physical objects, systems or processes that help optimize a company’s business performance. We have summarized ten benefits for you in compact form:
- Digital twins change and accelerate the entire engineering process.
- They are used to optimize manufacturing processes and already enable the economical production of the smallest batch sizes down to a quantity of 1.
- The digital twin is perfectly suited for condition monitoring in real time. This makes predictive maintenance of equipment possible.
- Forecasts of requirements, developments and inventories for different business areas become possible.
- With a digital twin, risk-free simulations can be carried out without interfering with and thus endangering operational business.
- The behavior of new products or the operation of new processes can be tested virtually under real conditions.
- Digital twins radically change the value chain. They make operations more efficient and thus open up new growth opportunities.
- The digital twin supports an increased level of service. Building new, digital business models becomes possible and simplified.
- Digital twins ensure traceability of the entire life cycle of products, machines or parts via digital threads.
- User interfaces prepare and visualize the relevant data for specific target groups. Each department thus has access to all important data in real time – structured and clearly arranged.
Digital twins are the decisive prerequisite for successfully implementing digitization in the company and opening up new business areas. Before you can use a digital twin, you must implement an intelligent, networked development process.
We advise you to proceed step by step. Don’t digitize an entire ecosystem right away. Start with a digital twin of one part of your company and build on it.
Don’t miss out on:
PhD Summer weeks start June 15, 2020. Not only doctoral candidates are invited. Here’s more information on digital twins – free of charge and digital.